Followers

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Deadlock by Iris Johansen


Deadlock by Iris Johansen
I am not going to re-cap this book in my own words like a good reviewer should. It has been done and done so very well by so many others. What I will say, is that I know this author could do so much better than what I’ve read here. I feel as if this were a “phone in” instead of an honest attempt at writing in the mystery/thriller category.
What we have here with Deadlock, is a book that, in my opinion, lacks suspense or thrills, romance or even believable dialogue. The pacing is slow; the relationships are flat and one dimensional, the beginning where we are expected to relive Emily’s horror and nightmare abduction is bland and emotionless. The mystery and the history lessons that Ms Johansen treats us with, are tedious and endless.
The relationship between Emily and John Garrett never resonates and one wonders why the attempt was made at all. Perhaps just to fill the requirement of in being romantic suspense.
Take my advice if you must buy this book wait and buy it in paperback or get it from the library…save a tree.

No comments: