Followers

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

 Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander

 

Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander


I must be the only one that bought read this book and then had a few issues with it.  It was a great book, don’t get me wrong. Nevertheless, the fact that there is no world building threw me off quite a bit.  The reader is almost left wondering if there were previous books that they had never heard of.  You have no clue where this is taking place so you have nothing to let your imagination ride with. All you really have are the bare facts of the story.
I was never quite sure if the entire world knew if supernatural creatures existed or if the ‘humans’ are in the dark.  You get the feeling humans do not know and you are *almost *positive they don’t know, but you are never quite 100% sure of it.
The writing and dialogue is quite stark and it works in this instance, yet it left me feeling a little unsure of myself. Perhaps this is a good thing.

Like the synopsis says---Edie Spencer is a nurse, but she works in a “secret hidden ward” of the   County Hospital.  Here she will cause an incident that may end up with her death …that is unless she can find a very young looking Vamp named Anna who was a witness to what Edie had done.  Mystery, suspense and horror come together to blend in this dark urban drama/fantasy.
 You also get a bit of romance. However,  don’t worry, the romance is not the focus of the book, although quite a bit of time is spent on it.  You actually may need a box of tissues by the end of the book and will be a bit like me and be antsy to see what the next book will be bringing to Edie.

As I said, this is not a horrible book; and perhaps it is only my quirkiness that needs a little more world building.  Maybe future books will be expanding on the world and eventually make me surer of what I imagine the world to be. 

No comments: