Followers

Monday, June 18, 2012

The SearchThe Search by Shelley Shepard Gray

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



*ARC Supplied by Publisher*
This was quite an unusual book and the second of what appears to be a trilogy.  I would suggest that you read the first book in this grouping first so you do not find yourself a bit at sea, as I found myself.  Missing: The Secrets of Crittenden County, Book One

I do like to read about other cultures and religions and I naively thought I knew all I needed to know about the Amish  .  Unfortunately, I have not learned of the different orders of the Amish and I really liked this book for letting me understand that I did not know as much as I thought I had.

Death, murder, drugs; all seems to be touching a community where you may perhaps not expect something this nasty to touch.  Yet, touch this community it does and in this second novel we see Detective Luke Reynolds helping the local ‘officer’ to investigate. And Luke is helping himself to something else…Frannie,  the owner of the Amish B&B and Amish herself. 

The solving of this murder seems to be rather unimportant to the grander scheme of things that this author intends.  This book seems to be more in the way of a romance than murder mystery, although the elements of the mysterious are here.  The author has a way of seemingly flitting from one unconnected element to another without a reason, but perhaps it will all come clear in the 3rd novel.

This novel is filled with interesting characters and what could have been a very interesting story line if we didn’t move so restlessly between several plot twists and story lines.




View all my reviews

No comments: