Followers

Thursday, October 25, 2012


Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi
Kindle Paperwhite 3G, 6" High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi
Price: $199.00


5.0 out of 5 stars Going to Take A While to Get Used toOctober 24, 2012
Paperwhite a review by a non-tech person.

So far so good. It is going to take me a while to get used to the lightness of this and the fact that I'm now going to have to use two hands to read!
I had to reboot it once while reading the instructions---not a good thing if you ask me.

I have it charging up using the external charger I got and for the life of me I don't know why I allowed myself to get suckered into buying the charging plug thingy. The old one works just fine as does the one I got from a different source. Oh, I know some will say the new one is needed to charge it faster, but damn, do you really need to spend the cash for [i]maybe[/i] an hour or so less charging time ...actually nobody know for sure (at least not as far as I could see) if it charges any faster with the new one.

The light is fantastic and I find I'm not annoyed with the light at the bottom of the page as much as some people are and the tool bar is great, you can do so much more with it than you can with the older model. This is going to save me a lot of grief in not having to buy a cover with a light in it that may ruin the Kindle or an external light that is just a pain in the butt to use and never lights the entire screen at one time or smoothly. This does it all!

Now this is interesting,, when you tap the bottom of the screen you can see your location but it also say, and this is on the first chapter so bear with me, 1 min left to chap --tap again and you see---16 min left to book. It is a cool feature using an algorithm to figure out your reading speed and how long it will take to finish chapter book. Do not be too concerned when you first start reading a book and it gives you a ludicrous amount of time that it is supposed to take you to read. It does eventually find its proper setting. For instance -I just opened a new book and after I flipped through a few pages it told me it would take me 19 minutes to finish a 320 page novel. However, a few seconds later it changed to 4 hrs and 48 minutes based on my page turns. Useful when reading for short periods of time I suppose.

I have not seen page numbers yet. But, unless the book [i]came[/i] with page numbers you aren't going to see them.

I have not notice any 'flashing' problems that some have spoken of, either that or it is just so minute that I just don't notice it. But, if you want to refresh each page with every turn you may do so by selecting that option. I wouldn't do so since I'm finding that the page turns are smooth and flash-less as it came set up from the factory

It is even easier than ever to set up collection on this Kindle. Much easier I think than in the past.

You can still shop from the Kindle like in the past, but it is even easier since Amazon has found a way to load things into the Paperwhite even faster! It used to take what felt like forever to download the store, now it is a matter of a second or two.
Of course, I have the WIFI on as well as the 3g network so that changes my down-loading speed slightly.

I love the fact that on my home page is New and Noteworthy book for me so I can browse new titles and not even got to the store. By clicking on one of the books there that interests you,you immediately get the book info that you used to get by going through a longer process.

I'm keeping the lamp at about the halfway point.

There is no glare or reflection, even while reading with a very bright lamp next to you.

The screen repels finger prints. It does not feel as slick as the older Kindles.

Tapping the top while reading will bring up your page numbers if the book has them included.

I love it already.

No comments: