Followers

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Guilt: An Alex Delaware Novel

Guilt: An Alex Delaware Novel
by Jonathan Kellerman
Edition: Hardcover
Price: $18.29



2.0 out of 5 stars A Non-Thriller/Suspense Novel, February 12, 2013



This novel is being touted as a mystery, thriller, and suspense novel. There is a mystery in it but as far as thriller and suspenseful go - no dice.

I have never read anything by Mr. Kellerman and if this novel is anything to go by, I most likely never will. I had high hopes for this novel. Reading that Alex and Milo are supposed to be the next best thing since sliced bread intrigued me. See this quote - "the most original whodunit duo since Watson and Holmes" (Forbes) However, they are not. They are like any other middle-aged duo that has been working together for a long time and that have been friends for years.

This book was so filled with minutiae that I never quite knew what was important and germane to the story and what was just a filler/page padder for the author. I like my mysteries or suspense novels to not lead me by the nose to the obvious answer, but this story just really made no sense to me. For instance, why was it so important that we the readers understood (had it pounded into our heads) that this couple is based on true life people and more importantly, why would this author ever pick this true-life couple? Well actually, I can figure out t he why, it just seems so superfluous of the author.

At any rate - this is a story of dead babies. One which is decade's dead and one, one month's dead Then we have a couple of dead adults thrown in. While this COULD have been an interesting book, and the plot could have been a lot more twisted than it was - it was just filled with talking, interviewing, side stories that meant absolutely nothing and went nowhere, and an awful lot of descriptions of who was wearing what, etc. The characters had no depth and I felt neither love nor even like for them, nor was I ever even repulsed with the `bad guy'. The characters where like cardboard cutouts - stiff and uninteresting. I just could not bring myself to care about them or what was happening.

May I also suggest to a new reader that while this CAN be read as a standalone book with no difficulty, perhaps t would be better to read the rest of the series since there seem to be a lot of inside jokes and such being bandied about!

No comments: