Followers

Friday, March 8, 2013

Blue-Ribbon Jalapeño Society Jubilee

Blue-Ribbon Jalapeño Society Jubilee
Price: $9.68


3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars- I Liked But Not Loved It, March 7, 2013


As much as I really wanted to love it, since I usually love books about gossipy, witchy, sometimes backstabbing women...I had problems ever even connecting with some of these women.

This is going to be difficult for me to write, since I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

This book is essentially about a group of women that grew up together, some of whom are related. There is one set of twins, an old girlfriend of theirs, an elderly Auntie, a female Preacher/girlfriend, then the various `mean girls' and one token male friend who doesn't happen to be gay like you usually find in these types of books.

Each person is having their own crisis and has the back-up of the others in this group. The book gives the impression that this is going to have a lot to do with this Jalapeño Society, but while it does...it really does not. It is somewhat peripheral to the rest of the story.

The women who were supposed to be mean, were so mean that even when one of them `redeemed' herself, I couldn't find it in y heart to really like her.
There are so many characters coming and going that it took about 40 percent of the book for me to be comfortable with who was who doing what and to whom. Ages are somewhat vague but some of these women acted as if they were in there late teens. You then come to realize that those women are at least in their 30's. There seemed to be relationships that could have or should have been explored (at least from my perspective). I DO understand that this was NOT a romance; it would have made me feel a great deal better if more than one would have found her `happily ever after' or at least a someone with which she could warm the sheets.

And for the life of me why was there even a Jack character in here? -------------------->SPOILER< ------------ Was he there just to have a masculine character in this book other than Andy and Ethan? A plain old 'good' guy? compared to the others I kept expecting Jack to declare his love for one of these women but he never did. I kept expecting him to declare his love for one of these women but he never did.

There is no conclusion to this novel and I don't suppose there really should have been one, but it just didn't feel finished to me and left me feeling edgy instead of satisfied.
*ARC SUPPLIED BY PUBLISHER*

No comments: