Followers

Sunday, March 10, 2013



Dying to Tell (A Slaughter Creek Novel)

Dying to Tell (A Slaughter Creek Novel)
by Rita Herron
Edition: Paperback
Price: $7.77



1.0 out of 5 stars A Non-Thrilling/Non-Suspenseful Novel, March 10, 2013


Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?)
I thought that this might be an interesting book and since I had never read anything by this author I decided to give it a try. I love mystery/suspense and as an added bonus, this was supposed to be a romance too.

Unfortunately, there was nothing mysterious or romantic about this book. The mystery wasn't so much a mystery as it was a seemingly `oh poop' moment when the author couldn't seem to pin this on anyone else logically. Actually, the entire denouement seemed to be something that was just tacked on to end the book.

This book is more of an 'I'll tell you ' book rather than an 'I'll show you' book and that can be annoying at the best of times. This book wasn't even close to being interesting enough to hold my attention. I found myself being able to walk away and forget this book for days on end. Then once I got back to reading it I would remember just why I walked away in the first place.

The characters are shallow and annoying, the romance was nil, the story was told within the characters heads for the most part, the mystery flat and the suspense was not heart-pounding. The author seemed to have not done her research into police departments since nothing rang true. I also realized that the usage of a woman with multiple personalities as the possible murderer was a bit trite once I got into the book. It made it too easy to blame everything on her instead of a real criminal. Then when you finally do get to the end and see just what was going on...you just have to roll your eyes until they nearly fall out of your head.

I can suspend my disbelief for many things; after all, I love speculative fiction. However, with a book like this, I expect everything to be believable to a certain point. Unfortunately, I had to stretch myself too thin to be able to read this and loose myself in it.
I really do not believe that "fans of Tami Hoag and Karin Slaughter" will enjoy this novel. 
 
 

No comments: