Followers

Thursday, March 7, 2013



Frost Burned (MERCY THOMPSON)

Frost Burned (MERCY THOMPSON)
Offered by Penguin Publishing
Price: $12.99



4.0 out of 5 stars Will Be a Definite Re-Read But..., March 7, 2013



As the seventh book in this series, it was a perfect addition.
For people who are contemplating this book as the first one in the series you read, I would say you could but you would be missing out on so much character growth.

I must say that I was not as impressed with this novel as I had looked forward to being. I have to agree that this did have the feeling of a book that relied a little too heavily on past story lines. It really didn't have the pulse pounding action that past books always had. It DID have an excellent mystery and a surprise plot twist that I never saw coming.

For fans who are familiar with the Anna and Charles books, you will find a surprise character from Cry Wolf pop in and be an interesting secondary character.

I found it intriguing that Ms Briggs split her usual first person POV that she usually uses in her books into first person POV and then several chapters that are devoted to Adam had been written in third person POV. We get to see a little more of what Adam was experiencing and feeling.

The mate bond takes on a new meaning in one memorable scene, but there may be a slight problem with Mercy almost becoming a bit of a Mary Sue character. I realize that she and Adam have not been married very long and they are still exploring what the mate bond will mean to them. Moreover, with Mercy being a Coyote things are going to work differently too...I just worry about what this may mean in the future if Ms Briggs isn't really careful.

Perhaps my misgivings with this series is that I feel that it has gone from one genre (fantasy/dark fantasy) into a series with more of a speculative fiction/romance feeling to them.

Please, please don't get me wrong - this was a WONDERFUL addition to the series and I wouldn't have missed it for the world...then again I would not miss any of Ms Briggs newest books...now how long do we have to wait for the next book? And will the next one be Anna and Charles or Mercy and Adam?

No comments: