Followers

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

Book Description:  As the daughter of a meth dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. Struggling to raise her little brother, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck -then it is most likely is a duck. In my opinion this book is *only* about violence and pedophilia no matter how wonderfully it was written. Yes Kellen and Wavy waited, yes the book was ultimately about love - but still, 13 years old?

And it WAS a wonderfully written book, and it even made me cry in parts -so it did hit me emotionally.

I realize that this book took me out of my comfort zone just because it was about people and types of people I would never know. (drug dealers, runners, thugs and drug manufacturers) The look into their lives was quite interesting.

Lastly, I read to take myself out of my real life. I read for entertainment and I found this book fascinating but not entertaining. It was a depressing read and I'm so sorry that the publisher chose not to explain what this book really was about -if they had I would never have chosen it.

*ARC supplied by publisher.

No comments: