Followers

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips

Gods Behaving Badly Marie Phillips
While this novel is certainly not the worst I've read lately, it is a close second. I very nearly gave up by the middle of the book and even that stretched my ‘patience’ limits to the max.
The premise starts out very interesting; God’s are being forced to live the lives of mundane, because of their lack of power. And while I can certainly try to understand the ennui of an immortal living in a mortal world, I could not seem to enjoy the cruelties of for example Apollo changing someone into a tree for refusing him a sex act…or the never ending sex scenes that I’m sure were being used as either analogies or metaphors, but I couldn’t decide which applied here. Perhaps sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?
The ending was trite and predictable and moralistic.
I shall certainly pass on a second novel if Ms Phillips ever writes another. I actually paid for my copy and if I had bought it at a local bookstore I would have returned it and begged for my money back. Don’t waste your cash, there are too many good novels that are light and humorous and well written, about Gods to have to resort to this.
But if you insist on trying it, the at least wait for it to come out in paperback

No comments: