Followers

Monday, April 1, 2013



.
If He's Tempted (The Wherlockes)

If He's Tempted (The Wherlockes)
by Hannah Howell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.98



5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 As Close to Perfect as You Can Get, April 2, 2013


If He's Tempted - Hannah Howell

This is part of a series, but I must tell you I have not read but a couple of them and I had no problems treating this like a stand-alone book. Ms Howell does an excellent job of giving you enough back-story so that you never get lost.

I do so love the Wherlocke's and I really wish I had been keeping up with them a little more. I didn't realize just how much I was missing until I picked this book up. I had totally forgotten just how funny an author like this could be. You seldom see historical writers portraying a woman of this era with as much backbone and grit as you see Ms Howell do. It is like a breath of fresh air. It is a pleasure to see the man being very manly, but always allowing that the woman has a mind of her own and that it may very well be a perfectly wonderful mind. Moreover, no other historical author does villains and villainesses as Ms Howell does.

Briefly, we have Agatha Mallam coming to get help from Olympia Wherlocke. It seems that Agatha's evil mother is trying to marry her off to a man three times her age, to a man that is not exactly good husband material or even very healthy anymore, if you get my drift. It seems Miss Mallam cannot get a message to her brother so Miss Wherlocke takes matters into her own hands.

Now the Wherlockes are something altogether special and they all have some amount of special powers and Olympia's is foresight - with a little bit of hindsight thrown in for good measure (be sure to pay attention when Olympia is leaning against Brants wall in his home the first time she goes there...it's a hoot!). Together they realize what they must do to stop Brants mother's evilness.

As usual, Ms Howell draws wonderfully fleshed out characters, gives us a little bit of mystery, throws in enough frustrating moments to keep us at the edges of our chairs and has just enough hot and sexy scenes to have us looking longingly for a cool shower.

This was a quick but very pleasant read. This book is one that I think I will even be pulling out to read again. Most certainly, I will be going over Ms Howells back-list to see what I have missed.*ARC Supplied by publisher*

No comments: