Followers

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Waisted by Randy Susan Meyers

Waisted

Waisted by Randy Susan Meyers
My rating: 1 of 5 stars


"In this provocative, wildly entertaining, and compelling novel, seven women enrolled in an extreme weight loss documentary discover self-love and sisterhood as they enact a daring revenge against the exploitative filmmakers.

Alice and Daphne, both successful and accomplished working mothers, harbor the same secret: obsession with their weight overshadows concerns about their children, husbands, work—and everything else of importance in their lives. Scales terrify them.

Daphne, plump in a family of model-thin women, learned only slimness earns admiration at her mother’s knee. Alice, break-up skinny when she met her husband, risks losing her marriage if she keeps gaining weight.

The two women meet at Waisted. Located in a remote Vermont mansion, the program promises fast, dramatic weight loss, and Alice, Daphne, and five other women are desperate enough to leave behind their families for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The catch? They must agree to always be on camera; afterward, the world will see Waisted: The Documentary.

The women soon discover that the filmmakers have trapped them in a cruel experiment. With each pound lost, they edge deeper into obsession and instability...until they decide to take matters into their own hands."




Well, I managed to finish this book without throwing my Kindle against the wall. I truly hate having to give an ARC a bad review, but they do ask for honesty so here goes:

I hated the characters... period! I hate how they viewed themselves, I hated their unrealistic thoughts, I hated their angst, I hated how Alice (half black/half white) and her mother (white/Jewish) were so bigoted/prejudiced, I hated that once I finished this book I couldn't even remember how it ended *scratches head* did they ever get satisfaction from posting their own video? And isn't it sad that this book left such a little imprint on me that I can't remember such an interesting part of the book...the ONLY interesting part I might add? I hated that this was such a verbose read.

I don't know what kind of 'fat' this author is or was or what kinds of research she did, but out of all the fat women I know (and I'm included -as a matter of fact I've been on both sides of the scale, obese and then nearly anorexic via an undiscovered thyroid issue and then years at an average weight) not one of them are as self-absorbed and obsessed as these two are.

I know that many of the early reviewers loved this book -so you may really want to try this book and give it a chance and not be colored with my little rant.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.


View all my reviews

No comments: