Followers

Sunday, February 9, 2020

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

The Sun Down MotelThe Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 stars rounded up.

I know that this is a horror novel and logic doesn't usually come into play with these types of books, but I can't help feeling like through most of this book I just wanted to scream at Carly and especially Viv to get the heck out of the Sun Down Motel. Have you ever seen a grade B horror movie? ---->
("A B movie is any film that isn't created for an art house scene, but has a low budget. But that's not all that sets this type of movie apart, particularly when it comes to the horror genre. Most B-horror movies feature bad special effects, far-fetched storylines, and lackluster performances from their stars.")

Well, that's all I thought about with this book. It was mostly a very bad grade B horror movie. I just wanted to smack the women for their idiocy in staying where it was so dangerous. However, I'm glad I kept on reading because the ending was worth the torture.

This book is going to appeal to many people if they can dismiss logic and they like historical things from the '80s (I do because I lived that era!).

What many readers may not like is the constant switching from the 1980s to 2017 - just when things get interesting the author gets clever (and I mean that in a nice way) and switches time and person.
The ending was super and really took me by surprise.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.


View all my reviews

"Something hasn’t been right at the roadside Sun Down Motel for a very long time, and Carly Kirk is about to find out why in this chilling new novel from the USA Today bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.Upstate New York, 1982. Viv Delaney wants to move to New York City, and to help pay for it she takes a job as the night clerk at the Sun Down Motel in Fell, New York. But something isnĘžt right at the motel, something haunting and scary.Upstate New York, 2017. Carly Kirk has never been able to let go of the story of her aunt Viv, who mysteriously disappeared from the Sun Down before she was born. She decides to move to Fell and visit the motel, where she quickly learns that nothing has changed since 1982. And she soon finds herself ensnared in the same mysteries that claimed her aunt."


No comments: