Followers

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27) by Laurell K. Hamilton

Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Book 27)

3.5 stars rounded up.

What can I say but that I liked this book, but that I still had issues with it? The mystery was clever and twisty with your ideas of the 'who-dun-it' changing with each chapter. I could almost ignore the cons of this book, but I have to discuss those in all fairness. So here is what I'm going to do, I'm going to list the pros and cons to help you make your own decision.

Pros:

Excellent mystery.

No sex. Unless you count kissing and a sort of girl on girl type action.

Interesting, and sometimes sympathetic characters (outside of Anita's usual men and women who were with her).

Otto/Olaf -not his usual self, and I see that his 'issues' will most likely be used to further the storylines of future novels. Otto/Olaf almost comes off as the White Knight at the end of this book.

Cons: (I only have a few, but they are HUGE!)

The repetition of specific conversations was enough to make my eyes roll my eyes so often that I nearly lost them out of my head. At least 100 pages (lol) might have been cut from this book if it were not for the dead horse beatings! We could have more of the mystery and mayhem!

I would have been a lot more pleased had we not discussed Anita's sexual preferences ad nauseam. I realize that this was to further a plotline that will most likely be used soon...but we shall see.

Does Anita really need that many men and women 'guarding' her?

Back to my review - This book is not like the first half of this series, but it leaned in the correct direction. It had a lot more emotion in it that the earlier books did not have. I had stopped reading this series at...oh... maybe book 20 and by the reviews and what I see in this book I'm glad I stopped. But I will say this book has tempted me to pull out my old copies of this series and reread it. This series has just turned into a vampire and were-animal copy of the Merry Gentry series. And with Merry Gentry, at least you knew what you were getting into -with this series not so much!

*ARC supplied by the publisher and the author.
SYNOPSIS: "A brutal murder, a suspect in jail, and an execution planned, but what if the wrong person is about to be killed?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

When a fellow U.S. Marshal asks Anita Blake to fly to a tiny community in Michigan's Upper Peninsula on an emergency consult, she knows time is running short. When she arrives, there is plenty of proof that a young wereleopard killed his uncle in the most gruesome and bloody way possible. As the mounting evidence points to him, a warrant of execution is already under way.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But something seems off about the murder, and Anita has been asked for her expert opinion on the crime scene. Despite the escalating pressure from local cops and the family’s cries for justice for their dead patriarch, Anita quickly realizes that the evidence doesn't quite add up.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Time is against Anita, as the tight-knit community is up in arms and fear against supernaturals is growing. She races to uncover the truth and determine whether the Marshals have caught the killer or are about to execute an innocent man—all in the name of justice."

No comments: