Followers

Saturday, July 3, 2021

Review: We Know You Remember: A Novel

We Know You Remember: A Novel We Know You Remember: A Novel by Tove Alsterdal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I haven't read much Swedish Noir, so when I heard about this book, I decided to broaden my fiction genres. So I am glad I chose this one.

The translation was excellent. I had absolutely no problems reading this. Well, except for the Swedish words, they were a little difficult for me.

The mystery/s were complex, with some threads being easier to figure out than others. That in itself made this a pleasure to read. However, some threads in this book made me very angry, but you will have to read it to see why since I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Likable characters made for a pleasant change of pace for me. The only problems I did have with this novel were the number of characters, not knowing anything about this country, and the fact that though you know who dun it when you get to the end, you have to reach that conclusion on your own. At least it felt that way to me.

I highly recommend this book to mystery lovers, lovers of Swedish fiction, and those who like books that combine cold cases with new ones.

*ARC supplied by the publisher, the author, and ATTL/Edelweiss. Thank you.

View all my reviews

SYNOPSIS: "A missing girl, a hidden body, a decades-long cover-up, and old sins cast in new light: the classic procedural meets Scandinavian atmosphere in this rich, character-driven mystery, awarded Best Swedish Crime Novel of the Year, that heralds the American debut of a supremely skilled international writer. 

It’s been more than twenty years since Olof Hagström left home. Returning to his family’s house, he knows instantly that something is amiss. The front door key, hidden under a familiar stone, is still there. Inside, there’s a panicked dog, a terrible stench, water pooling on the floor. Upstairs in the shower, the father Olaf has not seen or spoken to in decades is dead.

For police detective Eira Sjödin, the investigation of this suspicious death resurrects long-forgotten nightmares. She was only nine when Olof Hagström, then fourteen, was found guilty of raping and murdering a local girl. The case left a mark on the town’s collective memory—a wound that never quite healed—and tinged Eira’s childhood with fear. Too young to be sentenced, Olof was sent to a youth home and exiled from his family. He was never seen in the town again. Until now. 

An intricate crime narrative in which past and present gracefully blend, We Know You Remember is a relentlessly suspenseful and beautifully written novel about guilt and memory in which nothing is what it seems, and unexpected twists upend everything you think you know."

No comments: