Followers

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Review: Driva: An Epic Nordic Novel

Driva: An Epic Nordic Novel Driva: An Epic Nordic Novel by Gunhild Haugnes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First things first, right? This is a Kindle Unlimited book, and so is the second book Thoron: An Epic Nordic Novel. That in itself makes up for some of the difficulty I had reading this novel. However, I may have had an easier time reading the first two books before reading this one. I would have had an idea of the author's writing style, how characters are depicted, language, etc.!

Don't get me wrong; I love learning about Norse mythology, Viking women, the class system, and paganism. But, I love strong women and learning about other cultures too.

I did have some problems with the variety (amount) of characters, the time shifts, how many royal families there are, and the politics. I also had a problem with how long some parts were drawn out.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.

View all my reviews

SYNOPSIS: "A devastating plague. A Christian queen. A pagan life quest.

The year is 1349, and The Black Death is devouring Norway.

Up in the mountains, Driva is unaware of its destruction of everything she holds dear in the village. She doesn’t yet know that she’s the daughter of the goddess Freya. She doesn’t yet know that she'll be tasked with the quest of a lifetime.

Driva will serve the greatest queen of the North. But first she must abandon all she knows...
...and fight her way to the sorceress of Snøhetta.

...................
Driva is the third stand-alone novel in the Daughters of Freya-series. The main characters in the series are bound by ties of blood, and they have all been tasked with life-altering quests by Freya, with the survival of the Earth at stake."

No comments: