Followers

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Review: When Sorrows Come

When Sorrows Come When Sorrows Come by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

. The review is below the mini-rant!


I feel that you don't need to drink an entire gallon of milk to know it is spoiled. I had to drink more spoiled milk with this book to get to the good stuff than I am comfortable with. The author does NOT need to keep padding the book with back-story and minutiae.



Apparently, I am the only person in this world who has trouble with how boring, bloated, angsty, and selfish the first part of this book is. If I hear Toby whining one more time about what is going on with the wedding without her, I will be throwing my Kindle...well into something soft. It's not the Kindle's fault that this book is starting so horribly that I am looking for anything else to do other than read this book. But, hey, maybe I'll scrub the toilets!?! It's not my Kindles fault that Toby is getting everything she wanted with this wedding, and yet she still has the audacity to moan and groan and pity herself.


Of course, we remain with the author's typical tropes/cliches; Toby and the crew will be getting nice and bloody. But, she will save the near unsavable and come back from being nearly dead.

I know that there are two more (at least) books coming out after this one, and I am at the point that I am not sure I will be reading these. The angst in these later books is enough to drive me crazy.

Well, I did force myself to get past the first 1/3 of the book, and it finally got interesting enough to keep going. This was not a spectacular book, but it kept my attention well enough to finish it.

So, they are married. Toby saved a Kingdom, and Oberon is still--- well, I can't say because it is possibly a spoiler for future books.


But this is what I really feel at this point in the series, the main characters (Toby) really haven't grown; they just seem to pay lip service to growth.

View all my reviews

No comments: