Followers

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Review: The Secret Life of an Uncool Mom

The Secret Life of an Uncool Mom The Secret Life of an Uncool Mom by Serena Terry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A sweet look at being a mom in modern Ireland. A difficult look at aging. I didn't know this was an Irish book (shame on me), and I had to spend a lot of time looking up unknown Irish words as well as modern slang. Unbeknownst to me, there was a bit 0f a dictionary in the back of the book!

I will say that this book had one huge trigger warning that I wish I would have known about, and that was ageism. And when I say ageism, I mean it goes both ways. The young are down on anyone over 25, and the over 35 crowd isn't looking with a lot of love at the under 25 crowd. Funny- it took my generation a lot more years in between ages to be so snarky about each other.

This was a sadly funny look at a mother losing her s**t over her newly teenaged daughter, her age, weight, kids, and a full-time job. And let me tell you, Tara takes a beating at her career. As a matter of fact, she takes a beating over almost anything, but the biggest issue is she gives herself the most extensive beatings. I can see where Tara is coming from since I passed this way myself. As a matter of fact, I have no clue why I'm still not as cool with everyone else as I am inside my own head (LOL). Now I'm just an Olde Pharte! It'll hit us all sooner than later!

I enjoyed this read-no I didn't love it, and it won't become a comfort read, but I very well will most likely pull this out one more time and give it a re-read. The perfect summer beach read.

*ARC supplied by the publisher HarperCollins, the author, and Edelweiss/ATTL.

View all my reviews

SYNOPSIS: "From the creator of viral Tiktok sensation, Mammy Banter, comes a hilarious warts-and-all novel about modern motherhood – and how having it all sometimes isn’t what you think it might be.




She used to want it all.


Now she just wants a nap.



Tara Gallagher is knackered. She used to dream of being BeyoncĂ© but suddenly she’s thirty-six – with three kids, a loving husband, a very boring job – and instead of headlining Coachella, she’s in her pyjamas on a Friday night, watching cheesy TV.


It’s time for a mommy makeover. She’s going to show her teenage daughter she’s still cool. She’s going to show her husband she’s still an absolute ride. She’s going to show her colleagues she’s still a Boss Bish.


But most of all, she’s going to prove to herself that she can still be a mom, still work full time, and still be BeyoncĂ©…



The debut novel from viral TikTok star, Mammy Banter'

No comments: