Followers

Monday, August 29, 2022

Review: The Hidden One

The Hidden One The Hidden One by Linda Castillo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In all of my years of reading, I have never been even the tiniest bit tempted to skip to the end to see who-dun-it and why. However, with this book, I was sorely tempted, and it took a lot of effort to stay the course!

I have loved this author since the very first book, but this particular book was the most fascinating one of Ms.Castillo's that I have read, yet It was filled with twists, turns, action, mystery, and a ton of suspense.

If I try to explain just what this book is about, I just might give away a crucial spoiler so I won't even try. I'll just say that Kate has been called to help an old friend who has been accused of murder. She is out of her jurisdiction and can't use many of her recourses to help herself find out what happened. But she perseveres and, of course, solves everything But this is not a simple murder. Oh no, this is so much more.

I'm amazed at how the author came up with this idea, and I wish there would be a novella that would explain just how things would turn out for everyone involved.

I highly recommend this book, and no, you do not really need to read any of the other books in this series to get into this book.

View all my reviews

SYNOPSIS: "Over a decade ago, beloved Amish bishop Ananias Stoltzfus disappeared without a trace. When skeletal remains showing evidence of foul play are unearthed, his disappearance becomes even more sinister.

The town's elders arrive in Painters Mill to ask chief of police Kate Burkholder for help, but she quickly realizes she has a personal connection to the crime. The handsome Amish man who stands accused of the murder, Jonas Bowman, was Kate's first love. Forced to confront a painful episode from her past, Kate travels to Pennsylvania's Kishacoquillas Valley, where the Amish culture differs dramatically from the traditions she knows. Though Bishop Stoltzfus was highly respected, she soon hears about a dark side to this complex man. What was he hiding that resulted in his own brutal death?

Someone doesn't want Kate asking questions. But even after being accosted and threatened in the dead of night, she refuses to back down. Is she too close to the case-and to Jonas-to see clearly? There's a killer in the Valley who will stop at nothing to keep the past buried. Will they get to Kate before she can expose the truth? Or will the bishop's secrets remain hidden forever?"

No comments: