Followers

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Review: The Other Side of Night

The Other Side of Night The Other Side of Night by Adam Hamdy
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
This novel drove me crazy. I can't even tell you what genre this book is because I just couldn't figure it out. It was mostly a mystery/police procedural and SciFi. It was told at different times with different voices and different manners of writing (including court reports, letters, confessions, etc.) m
Sometimes the prose is flowery with bad poetry; sometimes, it is incomprehensible (unless you have a degree in...well, I'm not allowed to tell!

The characters are cardboard, and the portrayal of Harriet Kealty, an ex-cop, is disgraceful. I couldn't connect with any of them and as a matter of fact, I just sort of giggled at what was going on. Give me a break-falling in love after three dates and not even real dates? What a cliched trope.

Why did I give this book 2 stars? Because I did manage to finish it without throwing my Kindle into the wall, and it was a very fast read.

*ARC supplied by the publisher and ATTL/ EDELWEISS.


View all my reviews

OVERVIEW: "The Other Side of Night begins with a man named David Asha writing about his biggest regret: his sudden separation from his son, Elliot. In his grief, David tells a story.

Next, we step into the life of Harriet Kealty, a police officer trying to clear her name after a lapse of judgment. She discovers a curious inscription in a secondhand book—a plea: Help me, he’s trying to kill me. Who wrote this note? Who is “he”?

This note leads Harri to David Asha, who was last seen stepping off a cliff. Police suspect he couldn’t cope after his wife’s sudden death. Still, why would this man jump and leave behind his young son? Quickly, Harri’s attention zeroes in on a person she knows all too well.

Ben Elmys: once the love of her life. A surrogate father to Elliot Asha and trusted friend to the Ashas.

Ben may also be a murderer.​

The Other Side of Night is a thought-provoking, moving “head-spinner of a novel” (John Connolly) with intriguing narratives and plot swerves that will leave you reeling. By the end, you’ll be shaken as each piece slots satisfyingly into place."

No comments: