Followers

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Review: The Syndicate Spy: A Juliet Arroway Novel

The Syndicate Spy: A Juliet Arroway Novel The Syndicate Spy: A Juliet Arroway Novel by Brittany Butler
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

When looking at the description for this book on Amazon, I am struck by the fact that though this book is being advertised as a futuristic book, "In the near future, Earth’s oil reserves are depleted. " it was set (according to the very first page) in 1938. Unless this is a significant typo, it sure put a different spin on this book for me. So which is it? A book set in the past with all sorts of modern tech, or a futuristic book with old-fashioned tech?

In the very first paragraph, I found a distracting mistake on the author's part. COPPER DOES NOT RUST, NOR DOES IT SMELL OF RUST. Yes, this may be nit-picking, but it still made me question how good this book would be. Mistakes such as this tend to pull me out of the story and question what I had been reading.

As I kept reading, I realized that this author has an interesting command of the language. For instance, Juliet's eyes can speak to her partner Mariam. Ohhkay. "Juliet took a SHARP swig of water" ??? "A silo of light poured into the compound."

This is most likely a very good book. I do so love futuristic novels, and having two kick-butt heroines would have been just perfect. However, too many things distract me from what could have been the perfect story.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.

View all my reviews

No comments: