Followers

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Review: Lenny Marks Gets Away with Murder

Lenny Marks Gets Away with Murder Lenny Marks Gets Away with Murder by Kerryn Mayne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars


I found this to be an entirely frustrating read. It was very difficult to submerse myself in this book. To start, Lenny is a frustrating creature until I figured out that she must have not only been traumatized as a child but also "on the spectrum," although this is never explained in this novel. I understand that using this as a trope is trendy, but I have not read another book like this. Secondly, her habit of mentally rearranging words to make new ones just got downright annoying, and I skipped all of that rigamarole.

Finally, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through this ARC, I got into Lenny's life and the story and started to care about her.

I imagine you will have no problems figuring out most of what Lenny can't/won't remember happened to her when she was a child. However, some of it came as a shock to me, and that made the fact that I kept reading tolerable.

The ending was a pleasant surprise (don't judge me, LOL, you'll see!), hence the title.

It's a worthwhile read.

*ARC provided by the publisher St. Martin's Press, the author, and NetGalley.





View all my reviews

SYNOPSIS:"Lenny Marks is excellent at not having a life.

She bikes home from work at exactly 4pm each day, buys the same groceries for the same meals every week, and owns thirty-six copies of The Hobbit (currently arranged by height). The closest thing she has to a friendship is playing Scrabble against an imaginary Monica Gellar while watching Friends reruns.

And Lenny Marks is very, very good at not remembering what happened the day her mother and stepfather disappeared when she was still a child. The day a voice in the back of her mind started whispering, You did this.

Until a letter from the parole board arrives in the mail—and when her desperate attempts to ignore it fail, Lenny starts to unravel. As long-buried memories come to the surface, Lenny’s careful routines fall apart. For the first time, she finds herself forced to connect with the community around her, and unexpected new relationships begin to bloom. Lenny Marks may finally get a life—but what if her past catches up to her first?

Equal parts heartbreaking and heartwarming, Kerryn Mayne’s stunning debut is an irresistible novel about truth, secrets, vengeance, and family lost and found, with a heroine who's simply unforgettable."

No comments: