Followers

Monday, March 11, 2019

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a MockingbirdTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I make it a habit when reading a book I can't put down, to go to Amazon and take a look at the less than positive reviews. Imagine my surprise when reading about this CLASSIC -that someone said the novel Divergent which is listed as a child's novel (is it really?), should be substituted in school for TKaM. That Divergent would teach better life lessons.

Well, I have never read Divergent nor do I want to (yet) but I can't imagine that it would teach the lessons TKaM teaches us in all of its gritty glory. TKaM is a classic and one of the things that means is that the lessons it teaches spans generations and centuries and will be as important to learn in 1950 as it is in 2050.

Since I am 60 years old (ahem), I come from *near* the era this book was set in -my parents and Grandparents; exactly this era - I am still living with the repercussions of the mindset and politics of those closest to me. If you all know what I mean...

At any rate, this book really teaches a hard lesson for that era and one that I was surprised to be taught.

I loved this book for giving me so much -a lesson that everyone is created equal, a lesson in small-town politics (which is just as true today as it was then)that we can't really know about someone else until we walk a mile in their shoes and that when needed most, help will come from unexpected directions.

I can understand that the beginning of this book can be boring to those who are used to more action, I just look at it as yet another lesson this book is teaching me -to be patient since all good things come to those who wait.

Read this. I don't think you'll be sorry.


View all my reviews

No comments: