Followers

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sunset Beach by Mary Kay Andrews

Sunset BeachSunset Beach by Mary Kay Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have been reading books by Mary Kay Andrews and her pseudonym Kathy Hogan Trocheck for years and years. She has only bombed maybe once and when I mean bombed -I mean that she got two stars from me. Most of her books are 3's, 4's and even 5's. I had a difficult time deciding what amount of stars to give this book. It is written in such a different style that I'm used to from the author. These characters are deeper with more problems to deal with and the issues they are dealing with are grittier. The fact that there are jumps in time (several different murders one forty years in the past) didn't do me any good until I really got into the book -then my unhappiness with this book flew out of the window.

I don't really like having to take so much time to 'get into a book' (the book was never bad, it just was a bit slow)but this book slowly pulled me in and I found myself liking that. Character growth abounded (I really did not like Drue at first) and the character's, like Wendy, that I disliked at first, I came to like and the character's that I liked at first I came to distrust even before the denouement. What I did NOT see coming was how the forty-year-old murder happened and why it happened and WHO made it happen!

This did turn out to be an engrossing read for me and one I will recommend to mystery lovers who like a tiny side of romance. And I do mean tiny!

*ARC supplied by the publisher.



View all my reviews

No comments: