Followers

Monday, June 3, 2019

The Favorite Daughter by Patti Callahan Henry

The Favorite DaughterThe Favorite Daughter by Patti Callahan Henry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I very rarely recommend books to anyone as I know that peoples tastes are varied. However, I feel I must recommend this one to a variety of readers.

First of all, I think that book clubs would get a wonderful bang for their buck with this book. This may sound as if it is a light fluffy read, but it is an intense, deep, soul searching, well-crafted read. It is a multi-layered story with dealing with a mystery, dealing with a loved one with an Alzheimer's and a long-ago betrayal by a sister.

If you are dealing with anyone with Alzheimer's this may be a book you are interested in -unless you are looking to escape and then I recommend you stay far far away.

I choose not to recap this book for fear that I might give something important away. I loved this book, but in some ways, I hated it too. It was an emotional roller coaster read for me. This book had me feeling anger, grief, curiosity, and discomfort.

I felt anger at Coleen's family for how they felt about her sister (tho I could eventually understand it), frustration at what Colleens' father was going through and how it was handled and who eventually was blamed (sort of) for it conclusion.

I disliked how the author went into length prose and overly deep inner dialoguing but I can see why it was done.
And I really did not like nor seem to be able to connect with Beckett (you'll see!)

Still, this was a rich and fulfilling read.



View all my reviews

No comments: