Followers

Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Friends We Keep by Jane Green

The Friends We KeepThe Friends We Keep by Jane Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 1/2 stars

This was a very engaging read that covers the decades of the eighties until today. that in itself was an interesting ride for me. People of a certain age mainly think a historical is set in the fifties or earlier -I am glad to see that some writers are taking into consideration that the '70s and '80s are now a bit 'historical!

I almost gave up on this story when I found it contained one of my most disliked tropes in female fiction and that is making the friends a white woman, a foreign or another skinned woman, and a gay man. However, for this book, it really worked.

This book deals with so many issues of the day and some of these issues continue even now. For instance - fat shaming leading to drug use, alcoholism and AIDs. There was no gay bashing and for that, I was very thankful.

This book was filled with very serious problems, unexpected deaths, surprises, and a wonderful resolution. It is not a light fluffy read by any means, but I would still consider it a great beach read and I would recommend this book highly.

*ARC supplied by publisher


View all my reviews

No comments: