Followers

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Takes One to Know One by Susan Isaacs

Takes One to Know One

Takes One to Know One by Susan Isaacs
My rating: 2 of 5 stars




SYNOPSIS---"Just a few years ago, Corie Geller was busting terrorists as an agent for the FBI. But at thirty-five, she traded in her badge for the stability of marriage and motherhood. Now Corie is married to the brilliant and remarkably handsome Judge Josh Geller and is the adoptive mother of his lovely 14-year-old daughter. Between cooking meals and playing chauffeur, Corie scouts Arabic fiction for a few literary agencies and, on Wednesdays, has lunch with her fellow Shorehaven freelancers at a so-so French restaurant. Life is, as they say, fine.
But at her weekly lunches, Corie senses that something's off. Pete Delaney, a milquetoast package designer, always shows up early, sits in the same spot (often with a different phone in hand), and keeps one eye on the Jeep he parks in the lot across the street. Corie intuitively feels that Pete is hiding something--and as someone who is accustomed to keeping her FBI past from her new neighbors, she should know. But does Pete really have a shady alternate life, or is Corie just imagining things, desperate to add some spark to her humdrum suburban existence? She decides that the only way to find out is to dust off her FBI toolkit and take a deep dive into Pete Delaney's affairs.


Always sassy, smart, and wickedly witty, Susan Isaacs is at her formidable best in a novel that is both bitingly wry and ominously thrilling"




This book was the loooonnnggggest 288 pages (or so I've been led to believe)I have ever read. I see so many reviewers loved this book, and I wonder if we had read the same one or if my tastes are just so radically different/bland/boring. I thought I would never finish this book. It slogged along until I wanted to scream.

I am led to believe that this is book one of a new series (I am not positive though) so I can see why we needed so much back story, angst, repetitiveness, and the building of Corie's life (boring), letting us know she is a bored housewife now and did I say repetitive?

I MAY try the next book if there is such a thing because hopefully, the next book will not concentrate on chapters that go absolutely nowhere. The next edition will, probably, not have the minutiae that this one did. And we get the fact that Corie is now rich, Corie's husband is handsome, her best friend has good taste and that Ms. Issacs knows how to over-use the word 'narrative'.

It takes 3/4 of this book before anything actually happens -yes, some things happened during the story, but nothing that will keep you on the edge of your seat; if you know what I mean.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.


View all my reviews

No comments: