Followers

Monday, September 9, 2019

A Hero Comes Home by Sandra Hill

A Hero Comes HomeA Hero Comes Home by Sandra Hill
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I need to remember that when I'm reading a book such as this one I am reading fiction and romantic fiction at that. Ms. Hill likes to put humor into her books, and her earlier books reflect that. This book, for me, was far from humorous. It is an intense subject and one that may upset some readers. It is about a man who has been a POW for 3 years no matter what the government is trying to get everyone to believe. He has been tortured and mutilated. I know this happens, but when I'm reading a light romance, I don't expect to have my stomach roiling or to have to go off and cry.

Jacobs wife, Sally had been told that he was dead and has finally started to get on with her life and so have their three sons. Then one day out of the blue, she is told that he is still alive and within weeks he has come home.

Now I don't know this for a fact, but wouldn't you think that the family would have gotten some counseling to prepare themselves for his reluctant return? Perhaps learned how to deal with the rages someone suffering PTSD might have? Learn what to expect and learn how to treat the loved one so they wouldn't suffer unnecessarily? Not so in this book and while I can sort of understand that it would take time from the story if you are going to write about something like this at least try to do it realistically.

There was a lot of sex in this book and very descriptive, which is no different from Ms. Hills' earlier works.

I really had a love-hate relationship with this novel.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.


View all my reviews

No comments: