Followers

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Death in a Budapest Butterfly (A Hungarian Tea House Mystery #1) by Julia Buckley

Death in a Budapest Butterfly (A Hungarian Tea House Mystery #1)Death in a Budapest Butterfly by Julia Buckley
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I want my money back and I want to buy the book that the other reviewers read! I obviously got the wrong book because this was one of the most horrible cozies I have ever read.

The crime itself and wanting to know who did it kept me skimming; also learning about my Hungarian heritage kept me skimming and those are the ONLY reasons I kept reading this book.

Here is one issue I had: the main character is in her mid-twenties....what person in their mid-twenties would know the term "sock it to me"??? I'm 62 and I barely remember Laugh-In!

Hana is truly an annoying character one minute young and frivolous and the next minute acting like she is in her 70's and the fact that this crime is on their tea house property is trite, cliche and boring. Actually ALL of the characters seemed to be out of place, stilted in their conversations and not described very well. Some things are overly described, some things that need more get nothing.

The romance seems to appear out of thin air and should have gone a little more slowly, like maybe wait until the second book for "making out"(another expression that I don't think modern young people use) sessions.

You need to stretch your imagination muscles to the nth degree to believe that the cop in charge of the murder (and Hana's love muffin)needs three generations of the same family to helo him with his case without his bosses approval.

I was so happy to see a book about my heritage that I ignored the fact that EVERY review is glowing, I read the preview and went for it...I very nearly bought the upcoming books too. I am so glad I waited.

Oh, I did learn a little about Hungarian cuisine (nothing I didn't know being a second-generation) but will be interesting for a non-Hungarian. I did learn more than I ever wanted to know about porcelain.

But to each his own and you may love all the things I hated so happy reading!


View all my reviews

No comments: