Followers

Saturday, January 11, 2020

No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22) by Dana Stabenow

No Fixed Line (Kate Shugak #22)


No Fixed Line

(Kate Shugak #22)

by 

... though there is no fixed line between wrong and right,There are roughly zones whose laws must be obeyed.
It is New Year's Eve, nearly six weeks into an off-and-on blizzard that has locked Alaska down, effectively cutting it off from the outside world.
But now there are reports of a plane down in the Quilak mountains. With the National Transportation Safety Board unable to reach the crash site, ex-Trooper Jim Chopin is pulled out of retirement to try to identify the aircraft, collect the corpses, and determine why no flight has been reported missing. But Jim discovers survivors: two children who don't speak a word of English.
Meanwhile, PI Kate Shugak receives an unexpected and unwelcome accusation from beyond the grave, a charge that could change the face of the Park forever.

Review-

I finished ARC/book -need to re-read to absorb more -review to come. At least the author didn't insult baby boomers again, sort of. But she is trying really hard to get rid of the boomers (and older) in the Park. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bobbie and Bernie bit ethe big one soon just for Ms. Stabenow's new audience.

Okay, I re-read this yesterday, and I'm finding I have at least one if not more issues with this book.

Issue number one -- while this is NOT a cliff hanger, it is going to be a recurring them since we really don't get rid of the 'bad guy,' and since he threatens Kate, we surely can expect him back.

The baby boomer rants---well, I expect the author wants to get a younger audience but is this really the way to do so?


However, all in all, I found this book to be very, very satisfying. The storyline is delightful, and the mystery is quite challenging to figure out (at least it was for me)and people we've come to dislike, get their just desserts. I enjoyed seeing a lot of past character's, I LOVED seeing Jim come out of his funk. I truly enjoyed the storyline, and I learned a lot more about Alaska that I didn't know.

The storyline well I can say that if you are extremely sensitive to some narrative about pedophilia, then you may want to skip over some of the early dialogue. Fortunately, once discussed, it is not vividly dwelt on later in the book.

An excellent read with some things I personally dislike makes this a five-star read.

*ARC supplied by the publisher.


View all my reviews

No comments: