Followers

Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Big Tow:An Unlikely Romance by Ann McMan

 The Big Tow by Ann McMan


by 
1401819
's review
 

it was ok
bookshelves: 2020dianne-s-2020galleys-arcs

This was a sweet lesbian love story with more cons than there were pro's I'm sorry to say.

This is not the author's first foray into fiction, but it felt like it.

I think what bothered me the most about this book is its resemblance to the Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum" series. This was the biggest 'con' and turn-off for me. For instance: Stephanie loses a good job that she disliked and falls into a position that makes her look like a fool (initially) bounty hunter. Nick (Vera) the same thing except that she is a repo woman. Stephanie gets a partner. So does Nick. In both books, one partner is white, one is black or mixed race. In both books, they all suck at their jobs but get them done. Both books have irritating bosses. Both books rely heavily on race. Both deal with relationships on the job with their partners. Both books, well one series more than the other, deal with a mystery. I can keep going showing the similarities, but I won't.


Pro:
1) Sweet love

2) good mystery-when it gets around to it.

3) Good build-up to the sex scenes.

4) No steam whatsoever. Except for kissing, sex was kept 'off-screen.' I put this in both the pro and the con column. It depends on what you are looking for in a romance.

Con:

1) A lawyer not figuring out that something illegal was going on??? This led me to realize that these were very unrealistic characters.

2) No steam whatsoever. Except for kissing, sex was kept 'off-screen.'

3) Unlikeable characters.

4) Not funny humor.

5) Slow moving story.

I don't know -it's really up to you, the reader/ lover of author Ann McMan. I can't really make up your mind unless finding out that I thought it was a bit mind-numbing makes you choose?

*ARC supplied by the publisher and author.

No comments: