Followers

Monday, October 12, 2020

Review: Hijab and Red Lipstick

Hijab and Red Lipstick Hijab and Red Lipstick by Yousra Imran
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Trigger warnings ---> sexual assault, rape, physical abuse.


This book was an eye-opener for me. I knew through media how many of these Gulf countries treated their women, but I have never read anything more in-depth and to my Western upbringing, horrifying.

I learned much but I still had issues. I realized that this was a semi-biography (the author explains this). My main issues were due to my Western upbringing and the fact that I'm in my 60's - one was the teenage rebellion, and the other was that the author never tells us what Gulf State she was writing about. The rebellion I can understand a bit since this was a half British teenager, so the Gulf States customs and rules are more difficult to deal with.


Right now this book can only be found in the UK (I think-since I cannot find it on Amazon US), I sure do hope to find it in the USA very soon. This was very much worth the read.

*ARC supplied by the publisher and the author.

View all my reviews

No comments: