Followers

Monday, June 14, 2021

If the Shoe Fits (Meant To Be #1)

If the Shoe Fits If the Shoe Fits by Julie Murphy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book kept me engaged even though I am not in the proper age bracket for it.

I am so unsure of how to rate this book and what audience this story was going for. I don't know if this was considered a young adult or even a bit younger of an audience. There was making out, and any sex to be had was behind closed doors and just hinted at. There may have been some moderate swearing, but I honestly don't remember any.

This was supposed to be a sort of remake on the 'Cinderella' theme...I saw it, but it just didn't fully read that way to me.

This was also a very 'woke' novel; most ethnicities were portrayed and pointed out. I'm not too sure about the gender identity issue; to be precise, a non-binary person. I had no problems with that whatsoever; what I did find confusing (and this is probably my age speaking) was the usage of pronouns and determiners (they and their) being used instead of the person's name. It made for a bit of a challenge for me.

The story itself was very fast-paced, nearly to the point that the falling in love bit didn't quite ring true. I will repeat myself-no matter what issues I had; I still enjoyed the story; I loved that body issues are being addressed in such a fun way. Unfortunately, our heroine did have other issues besides her body, which was a tad depressing for me.

*ARC supplied by the publisher, the author, and NetGalley.

View all my reviews

SYNOPSIS: "After having just graduated with a degree in shoe design, and trying to get her feet on the ground, Cindy is working for her stepmother, who happens to be the executive producer of America's favorite reality show, Before Midnight. When a spot on the show needs filling ASAP, Cindy volunteers, hoping it might help jump-start her fashion career, or at least give her something to do while her peers land jobs in the world of high fashion.

Turns out being the only plus size woman on a reality dating competition makes a splash, and soon Cindy becomes a body positivity icon for women everywhere. What she doesn't expect? That she may just find inspiration-and love-in the process. Ultimately, Cindy learns that if the shoe doesn't fit, maybe it's time to design your own"

No comments: